Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Back in May, we learned that Steven Giles, co-owner of BASE,
- Although small, the store packs in a lot of personality, with no traces of toothpaste, aspirins, or neon tees. The shelves are packed with Le Labo and Comme Des Garçons fragrances, Mast Brothers chocolates, board games enclosed in impeccable packaging, gn
- The coffee table books come in the dozens, whether you want an Indian cookbook wrapped in a rice sack or you're interested in the fine art of Russian criminal tattoos. Prices range from $5 for a small little caramel to $16,000 for a pair of earrings. The
- "We all know when we go to the MOMA in New York, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you can browse around and touch everything and it's just a lot of really, really great things," said Ian Schrager, the legendary creative force behind Edition. "So the ide
- Schrager previously hired BASE to curate his gift shop at the Delano, which opened in 1992 and many credit as the hotel that revived South Beach. Schrager also is the co-mastermind behind Studio54, the club that practically defined the 70s and disco. Let
- As for the spa, it's sort of like what a beach bungalow in heaven would look like. The spa shop is like the lobby's gift shop, only with rows of perfectly organized creams, scents and candles and a dedicated section for fitness apparel.
- Once you pass that, you'll enter upon a lavish waiting room, with an infinite amount of couches separated by sheer hanging fabrics, adorned with candles on the ground. What's really cool about this spa is that you can "build a massage." Gentle touch or fi
- And finally, we'll leave you with this hand-painted bowling ball, found within Edition's four-lane, basement bowling alley.
There's much to say about the new Miami Beach EDITION. It officially opened yesterday in South Beach, but for now we'll go ahead and focus on its two most important elements: the BASE-curated gift shop and the most likely to be rated five-star spa. (We mean, there are other amenities, like an underground ice skating rink and bowling alley, or the fact that you can see the ocean from the lobby, which is unique in Miami, but retail and wellness is part of our beat, so we'll stick to that). · Ian Schrager's Miami Beach EDITION Hotel Opens Today [Curbed Miami]
· Now Open [Racked Miami]